Our mission is to facilitate increased co-ordination and effectiveness of local violence prevention and reduction systems, encouraging a public health approach. This means, developing and maintaining excellent partnerships across local areas and supporting them to develop and deliver their local violence reduction strategies. We support local area action planning to respond to the bespoke needs of places and play a key role in engaging local communities which enables us to build insight and use this knowledge to develop sustainable community led initiatives.
It is through the role of the VRP Navigator that the above is achieved. The VRP Navigators are the operational arm of the VRP. The Navigators are a key point of contact in a local area and provide advice, support and coordinate interventions based on best practice whilst also piloting new approaches. Navigators have a key role in ensuring that there are clear and accessible pathways of support for organisations and individuals.
In practice this means:
- Building and working alongside effective partnerships, including but not exclusive to – schools, policing, children’s services, community safety etc to provide support and advice, as well as access to robust, evidence-based interventions.
- Representing the Violence Reduction Partnership in local strategic and operational meetings.
- Facilitating local asset mapping to understand local systems, stakeholders, existing projects and programmes, assets, gaps, opportunities, etc
- Identifying funding opportunities and ways to maximise/lever existing resources including involvement and engagement of the private, community and voluntary sectors
- Supporting the delivery of evidence based primary, secondary and tertiary preventative interventions and supporting violence reduction partnerships to thrive.
- Working alongside communities to understand the role they can play in violence prevention and reduction and placing them at the centre of VRU planning and activity. Demonstrably responding to community concerns and providing an interface for the VRP in localities across the region.
- Developing and testing new and innovative violence reduction and prevention approaches.
To find details of your local navigator, please click on your area on the map below: